Choosing a Window Contractor
Impact Window & Door is a full-service hurricane protection company, and we provide you with top-quality products and comprehensive project management from start to finish. The same, however, can’t be said for all window and door contractors. Your choice of window contractor is nearly as important as the type of doors and windows you choose to have installed. Finding the right window contractor for your project is contingent on asking the right questions.
We have compiled this thorough, concise guide to help you ask potential contractors the right questions in order to ensure you have the best possible experience (and avoid any unpleasant surprises!).
Questions about the Company Itself
- How long have you been in business?
- Is your company a member of any relevant business networks/groups?
- Does your company perform ongoing service/repairs, or do you handle installation only?
Questions about Licensing, Permits, and Insurance
- What licenses do you hold?
- Will you provide me with a copy of said licenses?
- Will you provide me with a copy of your insurance policies?
- Does your company handle obtaining the permits necessary for my project? If so, is there an additional charge for this service?
Questions about Installation
- Is installation performed by your company’s technicians, or do you have sub-contractors perform the installation?
- If you have sub-contractors perform the installation, are they fully licensed and insured? Will you provide me with copies of documents that show this?
- Do the quoted installation estimates include repairs to drywall, window sills, and window and door framing? Are there additional charges involved?
Questions about Inspections
- Does your company schedule any necessary city inspections?
- Will a representative from your company attend any necessary city inspections to answer questions and provide information at the inspector’s request?
Questions about Warranties
- Will you provide me with a copy of both the labor warranty as well as the product warranty?
- Under what circumstances will the warranty cover repairs, in part or in full?
- How long are each of the warranties valid?
Questions about the Contract
- Does the contract you provide include the following information:
- All of the work to be performed?
- All potential costs?
- An accurate forecast for the completion of the project?
- Post-installation work on the project, such as clean up, drywall, stucco, and repairs?
- What is your estimate for the project?
- What payment arrangements are possible?
Never engage a contractor who hesitates to answer the above questions fully and to your satisfaction. Also, be wary of contractors that hesitate to put their promises in writing. If they are willing to promise you something, they should be willing to document that promise and stand by it.
Here at we have over half a century of combined experience, which has taught us that communication and proper documentation are key to good customer service. We are always willing to keep you informed about your project status, answer any questions you have, and to stand by our promise to offer both commercial and residential customers superior service. Contact us today.